When it comes to a classy and modern kitchen, nothing beats a stone benchtop counter. However, to make sure that it is always looking at its best and that your investment is secured, it is always a good idea to take some extra care and maintenance. Nothing too special, just a few simple tips and a little bit of caution can go a long way to make your stone benchtops last a lifetime.
Before we start considering how to keep your stone benchtop clean and maintained, let’s look into the don’ts list to make sure that you are aware of all the things that can harm your benchtop.
Things to avoid to maintain a healthy stone benchtop:
- Avoid sitting or standing on your benchtop. Even though stone benchtops are extremely tough, the under cabinet may not be, specifically near the edges. While they are strong, they are not indestructible by any means. So, take extra care to make sure that no unnecessary heavy weight is being put on them. Make sure that any electrician or painter working uses a ladder, and not your benchtop!
- Avoid putting extremely hot things on your stone benchtop. Though they are heat resistant, they are not heat proof and extreme heat can cause cracks and discolouration. Use hot plate rests or trivets to minimise risk.
- Don’t leave food or liquid spills, and make sure to wipe them clean as soon as possible. Things such as citrus, vinegar, soft drinks, red wine, oil etc. carry a lot of acids and chemicals that might react with the stone surface and cause discolouration. They can even seep through seals and harm the insides of the stone benchtops. Be wary of strong chemicals such as toothpaste, mouthwash, soap, perfume, hair spray.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaning agents. Things such as Ajax or Jif are not needed to keep your stone benchtop clean. To clean, simply use a cloth and warm water or some methylated spirits. Do not use metal scrubbers, paint stripper of scouring pads.
- Don’t slide sharp edges or rough items along the surface. Even though stone benchtops are scratch-resistant, they are not scratch-proof as the risk of damage is always there.
- Avoid using it as a chopping board. Stone benchtops are extremely hard and sturdy, but using sharp knives on the same spot repeatedly will risk leaving some marks overtime, not to mention ruin your knives as well.
- Never leave any metallic object that can rust. Rust rings are hard to remove.
General Care and Maintenance
- For engineered or reconstituted stones, cleaner sprays are available specifically to keep them clean. You can also use methylated spirits.
- For natural stones, sealing them is crucial to make sure that nothing can seep through. After that, use PH neutral elements to keep them clean. Simple warm water or methylated spirits can do the trick.
- Avoid direct sunlight exposure. Overtime this can result in slight colour changes.
• In case of any crack or chips, do not try to fix it with superglue as it will only make things more complicated, and simply reach out to us at Hot Rock Granite for a professional solution.